Freelance Journalist of The Year Award Terms & Conditions
2017 Terms & Conditions – please read carefully
- The award is open to all Australian and New Zealand freelance journalists regularly and constantly engaged in journalistic work and who have had work published or broadcast in any medium through Australian or New Zealand media outlets between April 27, 2016 through to April 26, 2017.
- Entrants must be Australian or New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of Australia.
- All entrants must submit a declaration establishing their bona fides as a freelance journalist/photographer and must certify that the entry is their original work
- Entrants must demonstrate that apart from normal subeditorial/production treatment, they have adhered to the MEAA’s Journalist Code of Ethics in the preparation of works and undertake to abide by the Code of Ethics and comply with all copyright requirements
- All entrants should declare any subsequent formal corrections, challenges to the accuracy of an entry or claims of plagiarism or defamation against the work arising since publication
- Each entrant may enter the award only once with up to five pieces of work (a body of work)
- It costs $150 per person (inc. GST) to enter the awards. The Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance covers entry costs for its financial members and members of the EPMU as a benefit of membership
- Judges have the right to reject any entry which in their opinion does not comply with the requirements of the competition. The judges’ decision will be final
- The Walkley Foundation reserves the right to withdraw an award if it later finds the entrant did not comply with the entry terms and conditions
- The Walkley Foundation reserves the right to use all material submitted for presentation and media use and to reproduce it for the purposes of promoting the awards
- Please keep copies of all material submitted. Entries will not be returned.
- Please take into consideration when composing your entry that your entry statement will be published on the Walkley website if you become a finalist.