Scholarships Criteria & Judging
SELECTION CRITERIA AND JUDGING PROCESS
- Applications for the 2019 Jacoby-Walkley Scholarship will be open from Monday March 11, 2019 through to Friday April 26, 2019.
- Applications will be considered by a selection panel comprised of senior journalists and the Walkley Foundation
- Shortlisted finalists will be announced in May 2019.
- Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by judging panel (preferably in person) in the week commencing June 3, 2019. This date may change depending on availability.
- The successful candidate will be notified and receive an offer on that day.
- The offer must be accepted before the scholarship can be announced
- The successful applicant will be announced at the Walkley Mid-Year Celebration on June 26 in Sydney.
- Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- Applicants must be aged 26 years and under at the time of application
- Applicants must either be enrolled in journalism or communications studies at an Australian university offering internships as an accredited subject or degree requirement
- Recent journalism or communication graduates who do not receive the majority of their income from journalism may also apply as long as they are under the age of 26
- Undergraduate or postgraduate students will be eligible
- A demonstrated passion for journalism across broadcast and digital.
- An excellent academic record
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
- Excellent presentation, research and writing skills
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Microsoft Office, G Suite and digital publishing programs.
- The ability to work in a busy environment
- Work experience or contribution to wider community projects will be viewed favourably
- Shortlisted applicants must be available to be interviewed in person by the judging panel in the week commencing June 11, 2018.
- The applicant must be available to undertake the 14-week scholarship in Sydney from end of August to end of November in the application year
DUTIES UNDERTAKEN DURING THE SCHOLARSHIP
May include but will not be limited to the following:
Nine Network (ten weeks)
- Four weeks at 60 Minutes, two weeks in the Nine newsroom, two weeks at 9news.com.au and two weeks split between A Current Affair and Today
The Walkley Foundation (four weeks)
- Assisting with Walkley Awards event production
- Assisting at the Walkley Award finalist announcements in Sydney
- Walkley Awards broadcast pre-production, including research and sourcing vision
- Editorial and production assistance on winners booklet for the Walkley Awards.
- Marketing and publicity
- Attendance at the 2019 Walkley Awards Gala Dinner
- Participation in at least one TV production course through the open program at the Australian Film TV & Radio School (AFTRS)
Have questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org