Scholarships Criteria & Judging
SELECTION CRITERIA AND JUDGING PROCESS
- Applications for the 2018 Jacoby-Walkley Scholarship will be open from Monday March 12, 2018 through to Thursday April 26, 2018.
- Applications will be considered by a selection panel comprised of senior journalists and the Walkley Foundation
- Shortlisted finalists will be announced in May 2018
- Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by judging panel (preferably in person) in the week commencing June 11, 2018. This date may change depending on availability.
- The successful candidate will be notified and receive an offer on that day.
- The offer must be accepted before the scholarship can be announced
- The successful applicant will be announced at the Walkley Mid-Year Awards Celebration on July 18 in Sydney.
- Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- Applicants must be aged 26 years and under at the time of application
- Applicants must either be enrolled in journalism or communications studies at an Australian university offering internships as an accredited subject or degree requirement
- Recent journalism or communication graduates who do not receive the majority of their income from journalism may also apply as long as they are under the age of 26
- Undergraduate or postgraduate students will be eligible
- A demonstrated passion for TV journalism
- An excellent academic record
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
- Excellent presentation, research and writing skills
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Microsoft Office and G Suite
- The ability to work in a busy environment
- Work experience or contribution to wider community projects will be viewed favourably
- Shortlisted applicants must be available to be interviewed in person by the judging panel in the week commencing June 11, 2018.
- The applicant must be available to undertake the 12-week scholarship in Sydney from September to November in the application year
DUTIES UNDERTAKEN DURING THE SCHOLARSHIP
May include but will not be limited to the following:
Nine Network (eight weeks)
- Internship at Nine News in the Sydney newsroom, conducting research and assisting in the production of news stories – 2 weeks
- Internships at A Current Affair and Today Show researching and working alongside producers, crews and editors in the production of a stories – 2 weeks
- Internship at 60 Minutes including researching and working alongside a producer/crew/editor in the production of a story/ies – 4 weeks
The Walkley Foundation (four weeks)
- Assisting with Walkley Awards event production
- Assisting at the Walkley Award finalist announcements in Sydney
- Walkley Awards broadcast pre-production, including research and sourcing vision
- Editorial and production assistance on winners booklet for the Walkley Awards.
- Marketing and publicity
- Attendance at the 2018 Walkley Awards Gala Dinner
- Participation in at least one TV production course through the open program at the Australian Film TV & Radio School (AFTRS)
Have questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org