Jobs at the Walkleys
Last updated January 18, 2017
Have an interest in media? We are seeking an energetic sponsorship expert who can drive partnerships, attract supporters and build revenue
The Foundation is at the very heart of the Australian media. It promotes excellence in journalism in all its forms including visual arts, literature, film, video, television, photography, documentary and radio. It generates discussion on the future of a rapidly changing media industry, and more than ever, it encourages innovation in journalism and its business models.
We do all this as a small team of people who work hard, respect each other and collaborate all day long — all with a sense of humour (and the occasional glass of sparkling!).
Over the years the Walkleys have established a solid base of support for sustainable journalism across media, government and corporate sectors. We’re looking for the right person to manage and grow our existing corporate partnerships while expanding our support across marketing and community partnerships.
Candidate profile: You follow the news avidly, and you intuitively get the value of supporting journalism that makes a difference. You are well-connected with a proven track record in sponsorship sales and management. You know how to sniff out the money that’s vital to sustaining our journalistic mission.
You’re expert at finding, managing and leveraging stakeholder relationships; ideally you’ve made ‘the ask’ and closed deals. We don’t care whether you came from a commercial media environment, advertising, not-for-profit or corporate sector — what will set you apart is your passion for great journalism and ability to secure support.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
• Five or more years’ experience in account management, business development, sales, or sponsorship.
• A proven track record in commercial negotiations, sales, or securing cash or in-kind support.
• Fantastic communication skills, including stakeholder management.
• Creative thinking.
• Administration and planning skills with attention to detail, deadlines and priorities.
• An ability to negotiate, confidently present your ideas and close deals.
• A sense of humour under pressure.
• A customer-focused approach and a thorough understanding of client servicing or account management.
• Experience or strong understanding of the media environment.
If you’re excited by this challenge, we want to hear from you! Please apply by sending a covering letter addressing the above criteria and resume to Barbara.firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close Friday February 3.
For current journalism students, we are always looking for applications for our internship program.