Jobs at the Walkleys
Check our Industry Jobs page for career opportunities outside the foundation.
Posted April 11, 2017
We’re a little organisation with a big mission to beef up Australian journalism and help it thrive. Now we’re looking for the right person to help tell Australians and the world our story.
It’s an exciting time at the Walkleys. In the past few years, we’ve revamped our innovation program, moved our magazine online, and gotten deductible gift recipient status through the Register of Cultural Organisations. We’re reviewing our awards programs to ensure that how we define excellence in the field keeps pace with the industry’s change. All that while continuing to offer professional development, talks, exhibitions and screenings — and, of course, the end-of-the-year Walkley Awards that define peak achievement for Australian journalists. We do it all with a staff of just 10.
We’re looking for an experienced, dynamic communications professional. Someone who’s passionate about journalism and has strong digital skills. Someone with exceptional writing and editing skills across platforms, whether online or print, video or podcast. You should be able to adjust your voice, from Snapchat to speeches, and collegially edit .
You’ll be excited about working hard on a really close-knit team. We’re not going to lie, it’s full on at the Walkleys — we punch way above our weight! But it’s incredibly rewarding — we work with the best journalists in Australia and have incredible support across the industry.
You will be responsible for developing and managing communications strategies across the Foundation including the Walkley Awards, our professional development program, social media, online platforms and The Walkley Magazine. And you’ll be constantly looking for opportunities for intelligent discussions about media, helping produce panels, discussions and debates around issues of importance to journalism, media and innovation.
You must have experience with online strategy, including social, and a sophisticated understanding of the Australian media landscape (and preferably beyond). We look very favorably upon established networks in the media industry.
Ideally you will have spent at least three years working in journalism and communications in a media management, not-for-profit or corporate environment.
This will be a full-time position, and salary will be commensurate with experience. Please submit your resume, three writing samples and a covering letter that addresses the selection criteria. For further inquiries contact Barbara.email@example.com or call (02) 9333 0921.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Developing and implementing strategic communications plans for the Foundation
- Managing the Foundation’s website and social media platforms
- Producing content for the website and social media platforms
- Identifying channels for content distribution
- Brand management
- Image and audiovisual asset management
- Media and publicity management; building relationships with individual journalists
- Building a strong and diverse media audience for the Foundation
- Overseeing and producing external and internal communications including marketing collateral, scripts, speeches, reports, press releases, funding and grant submissions and stakeholder communications
- Contributing journalistically to the production elements of the Foundation’s professional development, events and award programs
- Commissioning and editing pieces for The Walkley Magazine
- Excellent writing and sub-editing skills
- Online communications and digital skills
- Experience in producing multimedia content
- High level communications skills and ability to form and establish relationships with external stakeholders and senior journalists for specific outcomes
- Ability to think strategically with demonstrated experience in planning communications
- Experience in, and a strong understanding of, the Australian media
Communications experience outside of journalism, in either a media management, not-for-profit or corporate environment
- Demonstrated networks in the media industry