The Walkley Foundation is looking for a new partnerships and development manager.
The Foundation is at the very heart of the Australian media. It promotes excellence in journalism in all its forms including visual arts, literature, film, video, television, photography, documentary and radio. It generates discussion on the future of a rapidly changing media industry, and more than ever, it encourages innovation in journalism and its business models.
We do all this as a small team of people who work hard, respect each other and collaborate all day long — all with a sense of humour (and the occasional glass of sparkling!).
Over the years the Walkleys have established a solid base of support for sustainable journalism across media, government and corporate sectors. This year is a landmark one: We were granted DGR status. We’re looking for the right person to make this a game-changer for us, building on our existing corporate partnerships while expanding our supporters to everyone from college students to major donors.
Candidate profile: You follow the news avidly, and you intuitively get the value of supporting journalism that makes a difference. You are well-connected; you know how to sniff out the money that’s vital to sustaining our journalistic mission. You know how to use data and follow up.
You’re expert at finding, managing and leveraging stakeholder relationships; ideally you’ve made ‘the ask’ and closed deals. We don’t care whether you came from a commercial media environment, advertising, not-for-profit or corporate sector — what will set you apart is your passion for great journalism and ability to secure support.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Five or more years’ experience in account management, business development, sales, fundraising or sponsorship.
- A proven track record in commercial negotiations, sales, or securing cash or in-kind support.
- Fantastic communication skills, including stakeholder management.
- Creative thinking.
- Administration and planning skills with attention to detail, deadlines and priorities.
- An ability to negotiate, confidently present your ideas and close deals.
- A sense of humour under pressure.
- A customer-focused approach and a thorough understanding of client servicing or account management.
- Experience or strong understanding of the media environment.
If you’re excited by this challenge, we want to hear from you! Please apply by sending a covering letter and resume that demonstrates your suitability to email@example.com.