Entries open now
Entries close Monday May 10 at midnight
The JNI Opportunity Fellowships will give talented early-career journalists and individuals from diverse backgrounds wanting to enter the profession the chance to develop their journalism careers through an opportunity to work in a newsroom, build connections, and undertake substantive reporting at the host organisation’s direction.
The twelve-week fellowships will take place in three cities:
- One fellowship will take place at Nine Melbourne with the recipient gaining experience across 9News, The Age and 3AW.
- One fellowship will take place in Sydney at Guardian Australia.
- One fellowship will take place in Brisbane at Ten News First and The Courier-Mail.
Recipients will receive a stipend of $10,000 to cover living expenses, such as travel & accommodation, for the duration of the fellowship.
Newsrooms will provide the recipients with support and guidance, including an experienced journalist to mentor them throughout the duration of the fellowship.
Three fellowships are available in 2021.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must have a right to work in Australia
- Applicants must be aged 30 years and under at the time of application
- Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply
- Read the full Terms & Conditions
- Read answers to Frequently Asked Questions
The successful applicant will have:
- A demonstrated passion for journalism
- Excellent presentation, research and writing skills
- The ability to spot a newsworthy yarn
- Experience in interviewing people in researching for stories
- Experience in pitching stories and ideas on presentation of stories
- The ability to be part of a collaborative, busy environment
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
- The ability to work to a deadline
- A positive, willing and adaptable approach to the role at all times
- Work experience or contribution to wider community projects will be viewed favourably
(Image: Sylvia Liber, “Oceanna”, 2020 Nikon-Walkley winner for Community Regional).