Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year Awards
Congratulations to the 2017 Young Australian Journalist of the Year, Paul Farrell, for his work at Guardian Australia on The Nauru Files.
The Walkley Advisory Board, represented by Kate McClymont, Claire Harvey, Jonny Richards and Angelos Frangopoulos, said of the overall winner:
“Paul Farrell’s remarkable release of the Nauru Files produced shockwaves that are still reverberating in Australia and around the world. It is the essence of great journalism. We were also impressed by the innovative presentation of the leaked reports. A very deserving winner.”
Thanks to the support of the Jibb Foundation, Farrell will fly to the USA with Cathay Pacific to undertake two weeks’ worth of work experience; he and other category winners will also receive mentoring from the Walkley Advisory Board.
Finalists were previously announced here. And you can read Q&As with the finalists in the Walkley Magazine: their favorite moments so far, what they’re reading and what their hopes and fears are for the industry.
These awards recognise and reward the hard work of our most outstanding young Australian journalists. In 2017 these the awards will recognise those aged 28 and under who demonstrate excellence in the fundamental tenets of the craft as well as the ability to present distinctive and original journalism that pushes the boundaries of the profession.
To make the awards even more accessible and valuable to a diverse range of young reporters, a philanthropic grant from the Jibb Foundation will subsidise a drop in entry fee from $150 per entry to $50. (Entry remains free for MEAA union members.) The Jibb Foundation’s funding will also support a bumped-up prize for the overall Young Australian Journalist of the Year award winner, now to be a two-week trip to US newsrooms, and a mentorship program to further boost promising young careers.
The 2017 categories:
- All media: Shortform journalism (supported by ABC)
- All media: Longform feature or special (supported by Fairfax Media)
- All media: Coverage of community & regional affairs (supported by UNSW)
- All media: Visual storytelling (supported by Sky NEWS)
- All media: Public service journalism (supported by News Corp Australia)
- Student journalist of the year (supported by Macleay College)
- The Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year ** ( supported by the Jibb Foundation)
- Read full category descriptions here.
** Please note that this year we have opened up the overall Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year Award to both self and peer nominations. Winners of other categories will also automatically go in the running for this award.
Entry is now closed. The 2017 awards were open to young journalists employed full-time or freelance who have self-published or had work published or broadcast through Australian media outlets, including online publishers, between April 27, 2016 and April 26, 2017.
Questions? Please contact either:
- Lauren Dixon on +61 2 9333 0913 or at email@example.com
- Barbara Blackman on +61 2 9333 0921 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Look back on the past winners of the Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year Awards