Want to join us at the Walkley Awards Gala Dinner on November 28?
Table packages are available. Please contact Lauren Dixon on email@example.com or 0413 212 890
Finalists for the 64th Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism were announced on Thursday October 17. Read the full announcement here.
Finalists and prize-winners for the 2019 Nikon-Walkley Press Photography Awards were announced on October 10. Read all the finalist details here.
A shortlist of three finalists was announced on October 10 for the 2019 Walkley Documentary Award:
- Aftermath: Beyond Black Saturday, Joe Connor, Ken Connor and Lucy Maclaren, Renegade Films and ABC
- The Australian Dream, Stan Grant, Dan Gordon, GoodThing Productions, Passion Pictures UK and ABC
- The Final Quarter, Ian Darling, Sally Fryer and Mary Macrae, Shark Island Productions and Network Ten
A longlist of six films was announced for the Walkley Documentary Award on September 24.
In 2019 the Walkley Awards entry fee was reduced by half, from $295 to $150. MEAA members still get the best deal, with free entry as part of their membership. Read a post from the Walkley Judging Board chair, Lenore Taylor, here.
The Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism are presented annually in Australia to recognise and reward the best in the craft. Finalists are selected by eminent journalists and photographers and overall winners judged by the Walkley Judging Board.
The awards cover all media and have grown organically over the years, expanding to encompass the changing nature of the media industry and innovation in journalism. More than 1300 entries are received each year across 30 categories. The Walkleys also recognise excellence in longform journalism through the Walkley Book and Documentary awards. The Gold Walkley is the most prestigious award, chosen from all category winners.
The Walkley Awards exist to recognise “creative and courageous acts of journalism that seek out the truth and give new insight to an issue”. They reward excellence, independence, innovation and originality in storytelling and distinctive reporting. This can be through research and investigations, well-crafted and innovative presentations, news-breaking single stories and engaging, entertaining and/or informative reporting.
2019 entries have now closed.
All entries must have been published/broadcast in Australia in the 12 months from Sept. 1, 2018, to Aug. 31, 2019.
General criteria in assessing entries include:
- How the story was initiated and followed (with particular credit given for instigating or finding a story)
- Newsworthiness, including exclusivity
- Creativity and innovation
- Research and investigation
- Balance, accuracy and ethics
- Consideration of the resources available
- Consideration of production pressures, deadlines and time constraints
- Demonstration of best use of the format/s in which the work was published or broadcast, including clever choices in storytelling through multimedia
- Excellence in written or verbal communication and/or technical and production skill
- Public impact or benefit, including audience engagement and serving specific communities
The Nikon-Walkley Awards for Excellence in Photojournalism recognise visual journalists producing still photography for any platform. Criteria include storytelling, courage, public impact, creativity, innovative use of technology, technical ability and resourcefulness and can include soundslides and photofilm.
Outstanding Contribution to Journalism (chosen by the Walkley Directors): Recognises the achievements of a person or group for outstanding or enduring commitment to the highest standards of journalism. Each year, the Directors recognise the achievements of a person or group that has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to the highest standards of journalism – truth, rigour, integrity, fairness – over a lifetime. The Walkley Foundation invites the public to submit nominations for Outstanding Contribution to Journalism through the entry site from July 1.
If you have any questions or need help please contact either
For finalists and winners announcements and all the latest Walkley News, sign up for our weekly newsletter.
Key dates for the 2019 Walkley Awards
- Jul. 1 (Saturday): Entries open
- Aug. 31 (Saturday, midnight): Entries close
- Oct. 10 (Thursday): Nikon-Walkley and Documentary Award finalists announced
- Oct. 15 (Tuesday): Business finalists announced
- Oct. 17 (Thursday): General finalists announced
- Nov. 28 (Thursday): Walkley Awards Gala Dinner – Sydney