Entries for the 2020 Walkley Awards are open from Wednesday, July 1.
The Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism are presented annually in Australia to recognise and reward the best in the craft. Finalists are selected by eminent journalists and photographers and overall winners judged by the Walkley Judging Board.
The awards cover all media and have grown organically over the years, expanding to encompass the changing nature of the media industry and innovation in journalism. More than 1300 entries are received each year across 30 categories. The Walkleys also recognise excellence in longform journalism through the Walkley Book and Documentary awards. The Gold Walkley is the most prestigious award, chosen from all category winners.
The Walkley Awards exist to recognise “creative and courageous acts of journalism that seek out the truth and give new insight to an issue”. They reward excellence, independence, innovation and originality in storytelling and distinctive reporting. This can be through research and investigations, well-crafted and innovative presentations, news-breaking single stories and engaging, entertaining and/or informative reporting.
All entries must have been published/broadcast in Australia in the 12 months from Sept. 1, 2019, to Aug. 31, 2020.
General criteria in assessing entries include:
- How the story was initiated and followed (with particular credit given for instigating or finding a story)
- Newsworthiness, including exclusivity
- Creativity and innovation
- Research and investigation
- Balance, accuracy and ethics
- Consideration of the resources available
- Consideration of production pressures, deadlines and time constraints
- Demonstration of best use of the format/s in which the work was published or broadcast, including clever choices in storytelling through multimedia
- Excellence in written or verbal communication and/or technical and production skill
- Public impact or benefit, including audience engagement and serving specific communities
The Nikon-Walkley Awards for Excellence in Photojournalism recognise visual journalists producing still photography for any platform. Criteria include storytelling, courage, public impact, creativity, innovative use of technology, technical ability and resourcefulness and can include soundslides and photofilm. Only photos taken between Sept 1, 2019 to Aug 31, 2020 are eligible for entry. Each entry must contain at least one published picture.
Outstanding Contribution to Journalism (chosen by the Walkley Directors): Recognises the achievements of a person or group for outstanding or enduring commitment to the highest standards of journalism. Each year, the Directors recognise the achievements of a person or group that has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to the highest standards of journalism – truth, rigour, integrity, fairness – over a lifetime. The Walkley Foundation invites the public to submit nominations for Outstanding Contribution to Journalism through the entry site from July 1.
If you have any questions or need help please contact
Lauren Dixon firstname.lastname@example.org / 0413 212 890
For finalists and winners announcements and all the latest Walkley News, sign up for our weekly newsletter.
Key dates for the 2020 Walkley Awards
- Jul. 1 (Wednesday): Entries open
- Aug. 31 (Monday, midnight): Entries close
- Oct. 15 (Thursday): Walkley finalists announced (including Nikon-Walkley and Documentary Award finalists)
- Nov. 20 (Friday): Walkley Awards Gala Dinner – Tamworth