A fair and trusted media is vital for a healthy democracy. Fundamental to that is ensuring that the future of the industry is in safe and trusted hands. The Walkley Foundation is committed to supporting those talented emerging journalists who will continue the legacy of ethical, fair and far-reaching reporting.
The Foundation’s scholarship, fellowship and leadership programs, coupled with Awards programs like the Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year, have supported early and mid-career journalists, lowered barriers to entry to the profession for a more diverse group of journalists, and helped ensure that the future of the industry is in good hands.
We have several scholarships and fellowships running throughout each year. Click through on the below programs for more details.
- The WIN News Scholarship (2021 applications have closed, recipients announced June 16)
- Jacoby-Walkley Scholarship with Nine (2021 applications have closed, recipients announced June 16)
- Walkley Indigenous Scholarship with Junkee Media and 10 News First, Supported by BHP (entries have now closed – recipients announced on June 16)
- JNI Opportunity Fellowships (2021 applications have closed, recipients announced June 16)
- William Buckland Foundation Fellowship with The Age (currently closed)
- William Buckland Foundation Scholarship with Sunraysia Daily (currently closed)
- Media Super Scholarship with Seven (currently closed)
- Google News Initiative Emerging Newsroom Leadership Program (currently closed)
- Our Watch Fellowships (currently closed, 2020 recipients announced here)
Scholarships: How it works
The Walkley Foundation collaborates with our media stakeholders from all sectors of the industry to provide a program that offers increased access to a career in the media for journalists from all backgrounds. These placements offer hands-on experience within a leading media organisation’s newsroom.
Hosting a scholarship winner: Scholarship winners receive a stipend for the duration of the placement and all payments are administered by the Walkley Foundation. Media organisations from all sectors of the industry are invited to apply.
Fund a scholarship: If you would like to discuss how you can support the next generation of journalists contact our Development Manager, Helen Johnstone, 0422 851 282.