Senior Manager, Walkley Awards
This position is responsible for managing the annual Walkley Awards and Mid-Year Celebration of Journalism. At its heart, the role upholds the principles of journalism and the Foundation’s reputation for excellence, and does so across all activities. This involves working closely with journalists and media organisations across the country to run the awards programs and maintain the integrity of entries, judging and outcomes.
Day-to-day activities include stakeholder communications, administration, scheduling, and live events production and delivery. The award manager is also responsible for the online awards entry platform, for identifying and recruiting first round judges that represent the Australian media landscape, and for overseeing the AV production for high quality live events.
The role works with individual and team entrants, finalists, winners, first round judges, the Walkley Judging Board, and suppliers such as photographers, venues, designers and producers.
The ideal candidate is equally comfortable working with all members of a small team, as well as high profile figures, has a solid understanding of media law and ethics, the media landscape and current affairs. They must be an excellent written and verbal communicator. The position reports to the CEO.
- Maintain the integrity of the entry process.
- Engage with major media organisations.
- Maintain the integrity of the judging process.
- Ensure diversity across all judging panels.
- Ensure key industry bodies and individuals are consulted for Walkley judging.
- Develop timelines and procedures for award entries and judging
- Ensure the awards remain relevant and accessible to young journalists.
- Ensure the awards remain relevant to a wide media landscape
- Manage the award entry site and process for all award programs.
- Front person and key contact person for all awards inquiries.
- Provide support for marketing and comms around all award programs.
- Develop and maintain accurate collateral and communication for both entries and judging
- Prepare all material for judging including board judging.
- Management of judging procedures including communications and recording decisions and outcomes of first round and board judging sessions.
- Oversight and approval of all finalist material for AV production and finalist/winner booklet.
- Working with internal and external stakeholders to produce AV for the Walkley Awards dinner and Mid Year Awards event.
- Maintain relationships with major partners around Walkley Awards production.
- Manage communications with finalists and winners.
- Manage the AV and on-stage events at awards ceremonies.
- Identify potential opportunities to grow the awards program through collaboration/partnership.
- Collate feedback and log issues regarding entry and judging issues.
- Assist in awards review.
- Liaise with and assist the Walkley Judging Board, providing schedules and entries to review.
- Provide data reporting on awards.
- Answer queries of entrants and judges.
- Review and update terms and conditions as required.
- Alert the CEO and legal and ethical to issues that arise in the judging.
- Provide support as required to the functions of the CEO, company secretary, and financial audit process.
- Manage team members to deliver on workflow and targets, especially around the awards nights.
- Minimum of seven years in journalism, communications or events roles.
Please send a letter of interest explaining why you are interested in this role and a full
CV to Barbara.Blackman@walkleys.com by Monday December 11, 2023.