Winners announced for inaugural Walkley Young Indigenous scholarship
The field of applicants for the Walkley Young Indigenous Scholarship with Junkee Media and 10 News First supported by BHP was so strong, the judges have insisted on naming two winners.
Congratulations to Molly Hunt and Jennetta Quinn-Bates, who begin a 12-week scholarship program in March with Junkee Media and Ten News First in Sydney. Read more here.
This is an exciting opportunity for an aspiring Indigenous journalist aged 30 years or under to develop their newsroom experience with two leading news providers. This twelve-week scholarship will be broken down into six weeks with Junkee Media and six weeks with 10 News First in Sydney. You’ll develop a broad understanding of newsroom and production processes and requirements, and as a member of the team you will be encouraged to share your ideas, skills and knowledge.
Thanks to BHP the recipient will receive a stipend of $10,000 to cover living expenses for the duration of the scholarship. The recipient will receive support and guidance from an experienced journalist who will mentor them throughout their placement. Accommodation at the Tony Mundine Hostel is also available.
Congratulations to the inaugural winners: Molly Hunt and Jennetta Quinn-Bates
This twelve-week placement will be broken down into selected placements with dedicated duties and responsibilities
- Six weeks placement at Junkee Media in Sydney, one of Australia’s fastest growing and most innovative new media companies. Junkee produces fast-paced digital news for a youth audience with a special focus on politics, social justice and culture.
Junkee: 4 x weeks: general reporting + produce a feature of their own choosing
Punkee: 1 week: Learn to produce video content
Video: 1 week: assist video team
- Six weeks placement at 10 News First in Sydney, including exposure to daily broadcast news bulletins, social and digital content with 10 Daily and discussion and entertainment content as part of Studio 10.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- Applicants must be aged 30 years and under at the time of application
- Applicants must be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
- Click here to read the full Terms & Conditions
- Click here to read answers to Frequently Asked Questions
There is no application fee for this Scholarship.
The successful applicant will have:
- A demonstrated passion for journalism across broadcast and digital
- Excellent presentation, research and writing skills
- The ability to spot a newsworthy yarn
- Experience in interviewing people in researching for stories
- Experience in pitching stories and ideas on presentation of stories
- The ability to be part of a collaborative, busy environment
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
- The ability to work to deadline
- A positive, willing and adaptable approach to the role at all times
- Work experience or contribution to wider community projects will be viewed favourably
All applicants are required to submit the following material with their application:
- 1 x personal goals essay demonstrating your passion for journalism. Please include why you want to be a journalist, your story so far, your aspirations and why a career in the media is important to you.
- 1 x copy of a current CV (including details of a personal and a professional referee)
- 3 x examples of your best work
In the application form, you will also be asked questions about why you are applying and what you hope to receive from this opportunity. You will be able to save your progress as you go along.
- Monday, January 27, 2020: Applications closed at 5.00pm
Please note the application deadline. This date is final and there will be no extensions provided. The system will automatically prevent submissions after the deadline.
- Wednesday February 19, 2020: Winner announced
- March 2020: Scholarship placement
The Walkley Foundation has been granted an exemption under section 126 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW) in relation to its targeted scholarship program. For further details please contact us at email@example.com.