Congratulations to Jackson Graham, who has been awarded the 2020 William Buckland Foundation Fellowship with The Age.
A record number of applications was received from all around regional Victoria for this opportunity to spend 12 weeks inside The Age newsroom in Melbourne. Jackson Graham, a reporter with The Standard in Warrnambool, will use his time to develop new skills, receive mentoring and build contacts in one of Australia’s leading newsrooms.
The Walkley Foundation thanks the William Buckland Foundation for supporting this initiative.
This Fellowship invites freelance, part-time and full time journalists in regional Victoria to spend 12 weeks on secondment in The Age newsroom in Melbourne, developing new skills, receiving mentorship and building contacts. You will work across all platforms, playing a hands-on role in researching, developing and writing stories, cultivating a network of contacts and gaining a greater understanding of how the news is made in one of the country’s leading newsrooms.
Thanks to funding from the William Buckland Foundation the recipient will receive $20,000 for the 12 week duration of the placement with The Age.
The Fellowship experience
Playing a hands-on role in researching, developing and writing stories you will work across all platforms, cultivate a network of contacts, build your investigative skills and gain a greater understanding of how the news is made in one of the country’s leading newsrooms.
Over the course of the twelve week placement, this hands-on experience will include the following duties and responsibilities:
Breaking news: you will be assisting with researching, reporting and writing daily news.
General news: you will work alongside education and city reporters to learn how to develop urban and policy reporting.
Individual project: you will be allocated a dedicated project for online and print, and will be supported by senior Age journalists.
Plus other duties as directed.
Who can apply?
The fellowship will be open for applicants who fulfill the below criteria:
- Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- Applicants must be freelance or part-time journalists based in regional, remote or community Victoria.
- Applicants who have recently left a journalism role (within the last six months) are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants who are in a full-time journalist position but are able to take an approved secondment will also be considered.
The successful applicant will have:
- A demonstrated passion for journalism across print and digital;
- Excellent presentation, research and writing skills;
- Knowledge of and familiarity with G Suite and digital publishing programs;
- The ability to work in a busy environment;
- Written and spoken proficiency in English;
- Two-five years journalism experience;
- A track record in generating ideas and a passion for pitching stories.