Applicants who are aspiring, part-time or freelance journalists from across the country (including regional and remote communities) are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- Applicants must be aged 28 years and under at the time of application
- University qualifications are not essential but the applicant must demonstrate a passion for broadcast journalism
- The ability to spot and initiate a newsworthy story
- Experience in interviewing talent and researching stories
- Experience in pitching ideas and stories
- The ability to be part of a collaborative, busy environment
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
- The ability to work to frequent and rolling deadlines
- A positive, willing and adaptable approach to the role at all times
- Relevant work experience in the media sector will be viewed favourably
- The applicant must be available to undertake the 14-week scholarship in Sydney from end of August to end of November in the application year
You will need the following items to complete your online application:
- 1 x copy of your current CV
- 3 x examples of recent work (one must be video)
- 1 x copy of your academic transcript (if applicable)
In the form, you will also be asked questions about why you are applying and what you hope to receive from this opportunity. Don’t panic though – you can save your progress as you go along, and can return to the application form if you need more time.
Remember this is a journalism scholarship so accuracy and spelling are key factors!
Duties undertaken during the scholarship
May include but will not be limited to the following:
Nine Network (ten weeks)
- Your time will be split between 60 Minutes, the Nine newsroom, 9news.com.au, Current Affair, Today and Nine Radio and Publishing
The Walkley Foundation (four weeks)
- Opportunity to be a part of a purpose-driven team that is highly networked in the journalism industry
- Producing, pre-production and live production experience on the prestigious Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism
- Experience working with industry partners on special projects such as photojournalism exhibitions
- Opportunity to develop digital producing and copy writing skills
- Short course Gift Certificate to the value of $1000 for use against any AFTRS short course. Courses are subject to availability and AFTRS reserves the right to cancel any course for any reason at any time.
Have questions? Please contact Corinne Podger, email@example.com