Nikon-Walkley Awards for Excellence in Photojournalism
Important information for entering the Nikon-Walkley Awards
Photographers are also invited to enter their work in relevant All Media categories in the Walkley Awards. Photographers are eligible to enter photographic work in All Media categories as an individual entrant or as part of a group or team entry.
A photographer may only enter once in each photography category.
Each entry must contain at least one picture that has been published in the 12 months from September 1, 2015, to August 31, 2016.
The cost of entering the Nikon-Walkley photographic categories, including GST, is $295. Photographers enter only one fee, regardless of the number of categories entered. Through its support of the Walkley Awards, MEAA covers the entry cost for its financial members as a benefit of membership. Entry to Walkley All Media categories will require an entry fee per category for non-members of $295.
Please see category descriptions for further information. Below are the number of images you can submit per category:
- News Photography: up to 5 related images
- Sport photography: Enter up to 5 images. These do not need to be related and can represent a body of work.
- Feature/Photographic Essay: Entry can comprise 5 to 12 images in a series with at least one published image.
- Nikon-Walkley Press Photographer: You may enter 6 – 10 images representing a body of work with at least one published image.
- Nikon-Walkley Photo of the Year is a single image only. This is not an entered category but is chosen from all work entered by photographers in the Nikon-Walkley photographic categories.
- Nikon-Walkley Portrait Prize is a single image only.
- Nikon-Walkley Community/Regional Prize can comprise up to 5 images.
Entry process and requirements for photographers
Photographers entering the Nikon-Walkley photography awards must enter online on the Walkleys website. Please note the entry form is separate from that of non-photography Walkley Awards.
Upload your images and give a brief description of each photo, publication and dates as well as an overall supporting statement of up to 400 words for each category. There is no longer a need for you to send in a separate disc or entry statement.
Only photographers working in community or regional media are eligible to enter the Community and Regional Photography category.
Material specifications for photographers
- Images must meet the following specifications:
– Images must be uploaded in .jpg/.jpeg format
– Images should be at least 3,000 pixels in length.
– Each image should be saved in the .jpg/.jpeg format with a medium to high quality.
- An embedded ICC profile is required. Adobe RGB or sRGB is recommended for color images, Gamma 2.2 for black and white. No CMYK.
- All required image information, such as the creation date, place and country as well as the caption/description, must be provided. It can be included in the metadata of the image files or entered on the entry website after uploading the images.
- The content of an image MUST NOT be altered. Only retouching that conforms to currently accepted standards in the industry is allowed. No cloning, montaging or digital manipulation other than cropping, ‘digital spotting’, burning and dodging is permitted. The jury is the ultimate arbiter of these standards.
- Entrants must not intentionally contribute to, or alter, the scene they picture by re-enacting or staging events.
- Entrants must ensure captions are accurate and provide a supporting statement that is open and transparent about the entire process through which their pictures were taken and published.
- Participants who are longlisted by the first round judges will be contacted and required to provide file/s as recorded by the camera for all images in order to proceed to the final stages of the contest. These file/s will be requested and examined confidentially during the judging period. A failure to provide these files by September 16, 2016, will lead to the elimination of the entry that will not proceed into the final rounds and will not become eligible for a Nikon-Walkley Award.
- Entrants may not enter the same photograph in more than one photographic category except:
– Portrait or Community/Regional categories, which are Nikon-Walkley Prizes. Entrants in both these categories are eligible to submit these entries again in another appropriate Nikon-Walkley Award category.
– In the Nikon-Walkley Press Photographer of the Year Award, where the body of the year’s work may include shots included in other entries.