Established by the Walkley Foundation, the Judith Neilson Institute Grant for Asian Journalism aims to encourage more and better reporting on Asia by Australian media professionals and outlets.
Up to $25,000 in grants will be awarded to assist Australian freelance journalists to produce a significant work of journalism in any medium. The judges are looking for original journalism with public interest value and impact – stories that surprise, educate and make a difference.
Quick links: Terms & Conditions | Frequently Asked Questions | Judging Criteria
These grants are supported by the Judith Neilson Institute for Journalism and Ideas.
Who can apply?
Freelance journalists who are Australian residents or citizens. Applicants can enter as individuals or groups of up to three members (all freelance journalists).
How to apply
Applications open on March 2, 2020. You can apply using the online application form. It is free to apply. Applications close at midnight on Sunday April 26, 2020.
- Give a brief outline of their project
- Show they have a realistic understanding of the budget for their project and provide details with their application
- Show they have in-principle support of a high-impact, mainstream platform to publish the work they produce as a result of this grant
- Submit up to three examples of their work to support their application
Terms and conditions
Why a grant for Asia journalism?
Asia is now the most important region in the world. It’s home to half the world’s population and its economy is bigger than the rest of the world combined. Few countries are as closely bound to the region’s future as Australia, yet coverage of Asia does not always keep pace with Asia’s importance. The goal of these grants is to support freelance journalists doing high-quality journalism that tells the region’s most important stories in intelligent and compelling ways.
- March 2, 2020: Applications open
- April 26, 2020: Applications close at midnight AEST
- June 17, 2020: Grant recipient will be announced at the Mid-Year Celebration of Journalism
The Walkley Public Fund for Journalism
These grants are funded by the Walkley Foundation’s Public Fund. The industry needs more from us, and to provide that kind of support, we need help to grow the Walkley Public Fund. The Fund is an opportunity for individuals and organisations to come together and show their support for journalism, and the vital role that it plays in supporting democracy, with a tax-deductible donation.
You can find out more about the fund, what we support, and how to donate here.