Thursday, February 10: Regional Journalism Summit
Tamworth Town Hall
The Walkley Regional Journalism Summit: Serving local communities will look to the future and examine a number of themes including why local news matters, how it brings communities together, the key challenges facing production, and business models, collaboration and funding. There will also be industry-focused training and workshops for local journalists, students and those with a deeper interest in the production of news.
Friday, February 11: The 66th Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism
Tamworth Regional Entertainment and Conference Centre (TRECC)
The night of nights for Australian journalism. This is the night when we come together as an industry and recognise the best of the best for 2021.
Saturday, February 12: Walkley Recovery Party
It’s time to recover and share all the stories from the night before! The Walkley Recovery Party will be held at the iconic Tamworth Hotel. Dinner guests are encouraged to stay for the weekend and join us for a recovery BBQ and some country music.
How to get to Tamworth and where to stay
Qantas operates multiple direct flights each day from Sydney to Tamworth. It also flies direct from Brisbane to Tamworth once daily. Those travelling from other cities will need to connect at Sydney or Brisbane Airport.
Book with Qantas. Flight times are subject to change.
WALKLEY LOUNGE AT SYDNEY AIRPORT
On Friday February 11, Sydney Airport will host a dedicated Walkley Departure lounge in The Heritage Room at Terminal 3. This space will operate from 8am to 4pm and will be available exclusively to guests who are travelling for the awards. Join us for food, drinks, entertainment and a catch-up before you board your flight to Tamworth.
Staying for the weekend and want to have your car to get around? Tamworth is five hours’ drive north of Sydney and seven hours from Brisbane.
Trains leave daily from Sydney’s Central Station:
Depart Sydney 9.30am – arrive Tamworth 3.37pm
Tamworth and district has a range of accommodation options, including hotels, motels, pubs and camping.
|Bendemeer Hotel||112-130 Caroline Street, Bendemeer||02 6769 6550|
|CH Boutique Hotel||52 Brisbane Street, Tamworth||02 6766 7260|
|Commercial Hotel||136 Queen Street, Barraba||02 6782 1023|
|Goonoo Goonoo Station||13304 New England Highway, Timbumburi||0429 384 297|
|Imperial Brew House||Corner Marius & Brisbane Streets, Tamworth||02 8921 0000|
|Imperial Hotel, Manilla||226 Manilla Street, Manilla||02 6785 1018|
|Joe Maguires||146-148 Peel Street, Tamworth||02 6766 2114|
|Kootingal Hotel||20 Gate Street, Kootingal||02 6760 3203|
|Peel Inn Hotel||89 Jenkins Street, Nundle||02 6769 3377|
|The Playhouse Hotel||123 Queen Street, Barraba||02 6782 1109|
|Powerhouse Tamworth by Rydges||284 Armidale Road, Tamworth||02 6766 7000|
|The Retreat at Froog-Moore Park||78 Bligh Street, Tamworth||02 6766 3353|
|Royal Hotel||155 Manilla Street, Manilla||02 6785 1017|
|Tamworth Hotel||147 Marius Street, Tamworth||02 6766 2923|
|Tudor Hotel||327 Peel Street, Tamworth||02 6766 2930|
STAYING IN TOWN FOR THE WEEKEND
If you decide to make the most of your mini-break and spend the weekend in Tamworth, here are some activities that may be of interest.
The Big Golden Guitar
- The Big Golden Guitar stands prominently on the New England Highway on the southern approach to Tamworth, Australia’s Country Music Capital.
Country Music Hall of Fame
- Recognised as a collection of “national and international significance”, this trove of artefacts and dioramas explores Australasian country music’s rich story.
Oxley Scenic Lookout
- Located in Tamworth, 2 km from the CBD, Oxley Scenic Lookout has views of the city of Tamworth and the Peel River Valley.
Tamworth Marsupial Park
- Get close to wallabies, echidnas, kangaroos and other native mammals in a natural bush setting. There’s also an aviary where you can walk among the king parrots, scarlet rosellas and other species, a picnic area with barbecues and an adventure playground. A walking track connects the Marsupial Park to the nearby Botanic Gardens.
Powerhouse Motorcycle Museum
- Curated collection of more than 50 Ducatis, Triumphs, BSAs and other classic bikes representing the era from the 1950s to the 1980s.
WHERE TO EAT AND DRINK
- The Pig & Tinder Box – delicious casual dining. Also good for drinks. On the main street.
- Sonny’s Bakery – great coffee and great bread!
- Glasshouse Restaurant at Goonoo Goonoo Station is an award-winning restaurant that does breakfast, lunch and dinner
- The Welder’s Dog Tamworth – Craft beer
- The Press Whiskey and Cocktail Bar – in the old Northern Daily Leader building! The best place for a late-night beverage
- New England Brewing Company – at Uralla offers brewery door visits by appointment
- Merilba Estate Wines – if you’re in the mood for wine tasting!